Monday, March 7, 2011

The First Fair Warning of 2011


Albums by bands you probably got sick of if you spent too much time hanging around with, driving with, drinking with, corresponding with, and/or simply acknowledging me:

This is Happening by LCD Soundsystem. Easily my favorite record of the year.

Heaven is Whenever by the Hold Steady. I wasn't sure at first but it really grew on me.

Lustre by perenially underrated Ed Harcourt. Probably my second favorite album of the year. Guaranteed to cause the least amount of disruption in my household.

Trans-Continental Shuffle by Gogol Bordello. This album is a more romantic and sexier beast than prior albums. It didn't quite fit into my emotionally nihilistic gypsy-punk worldview. This year, however, it's a really nice listen.

Head First by Goldfrapp. Returning to their more club oriented sound, they made the best Abba/Olivia Newton John record in decades.

Albums you should be prepared to get sick of hearing me talk about this year:

100 Lovers by Devotchka. Beautiful, gorgeous, lush. But I still wish they'd play "Transliterator" live.

Dynamite Steps by the Twilight Singers. Because a new Greg Dulli album is always to be celebrated.

Collapse Into Nothing by R.E.M. Which upon hearing, I will either declare the album a return to form or pine for the days in which everybody hurt.

Angles by the Strokes. See R.E.M. Add booze.

The King of Limbs by Radiohead. See R.E.M. See the Strokes. Add confusion.

Consider yourselves warned.


*But seriously, I'll have a review posted of the new Twilights record this Tuesday in honor of Mardi Gras.

No comments:

Post a Comment