Wednesday, May 18, 2011

indie


What, in this day and age, does it mean to be indie?

First person to tell me that I wouldn't get it gets socked in the face with a can of PBR as I defile their sweatervest and skinny jeans.

Indie used to mean something. Even after Nirvana was poached by Geffen records. Even after R.E.M. left IRS for Warner Brothers.

But in this day and age, where books can be published on demand (a tool, mind you, that is completely underutilized by comic publishers), what does that mean for artists? More artistic autonomy. A larger slice of the pie. A smaller pie.

Technology is moving faster than we can keep up. So what does that mean for content distribution in both the digital and tactile realms? How capable will artists actually be in delivering their message independently of corporate interference?

So, legitimately, I'm asking: What does indie mean to you?

I'd ask Joe Strummer but he killed punk the day he signed to CBS.

No comments:

Post a Comment