Tuesday, June 29, 2010

dial m for nihilism


It would seem that it's time for the final push into my bumbling epic This is Not a Love Song with one Tyler Kent. A month from now, we should be doing final edits and get submission packets together. I just read Mr. McGowan's notes on TK's half and whooboy, am I ashamed of what mine contains. Looks like we'll be dialing up the nihilism in my half. We'll get one thing straight right off the bat, though, my character is not a raging alcoholic. He's a raging asshole. Alcohol is just one element of his arsenal.
All told, it will be great to be done. But it is bloody frightening to go back for one last go round. A lot of truth and a lot beauty took place in the half life that the first draft was done in. Accordingly, certain parts seem radioactive to me now as I've been like four different people in that time.
On the other hand, how often do you read a book whose first line is "Why is there a hammer in the wall?"

1 comment:

  1. What a ride it's been. I'm thrilled for you guys.

    PS - I hope the vampire wins.

    ReplyDelete