Saturday, June 19, 2010

and then... twenty ten


Wow. Anybody else notice that we're, like, almost halfway through this year? I reiterate. Wow.

So then. Maybe I've been a leeeeetle busy. 2010 in a nutshell.

I went to DC to hang out with my brother and his lovely, lovely wife who, despite our warnings, married into the family anyways. We're lucky to have her. A short excursion into Baltimore was made where we watched Devotchka open for Gogol Bordello. Whiskey was poured later. Three out of four heads passed out on the drive back home. It was good. And for once, my flight home was not delayed. Score one for me.

Some people got married. Parties were thrown. Drinks were imbibed. Cake happened. Dancing happened. Later, in the fall, some more people will get married. I will be forcibly involved, but thankfully at this moment, not be the one getting married. WashRinseRepeat.

Then...

The Beginning of this month saw me return to the stage in a manner of speaking. At the request of one very astonishing Jacqueline Garcia, I helped her hammer out some text to accompany her latest show The Dust Vignettes- Four Tales of an Immaculate Heart. Then we pulled Tyler in to do the acting in what basically amounted to a one man show interspersed in a dance show. They were all phenomenal. And while I've said that at the beginning its not how I would have chosen to do things, I can honestly say at the end of the day that I wouldn't choose any other way for things to have gone.

And now we're more than halfway through June. Which means I've been slavishly devoted to the NBA Championships. I was asked earlier who my favorite team is. When pressed, I'd probably have to go with Barkley's Suns. They were great. Beyond that, its whoever plays with the most heart and the most game. Asking me to choose a favorite ball club is like asking me to choose a favorite band. That being said, it was incredible to see the Celtics play this post season. Every single time they were counted out of contention, they came back to prove the doubters wrong. They were like some freakish force of raving hardwood id. I hope they're back next year because the way those finals ended... just didn't cut it for me. I won't even get into my colossal distaste for the Lakers. It's not fair to the world at large. We have bigger things to worry over.

Like World Cup Soccer. The US is sooo close. Even with what was patently diseastrous officiating in our match with Slovenia. Ok. I'm leaving it alone.

Tomorrow, I'm going to see the Cowboy Junkies at the NHCC. July will see me in Santa Fe for the Hold Steady and again at the end of August for Ray Lamontagne and David Grey. That should all be really exciting. And as much as I hope to get into the last few month's adventures in more detail, I hope I'm on point enough to write about what's coming up as well.

That being said, I'll be posting a look at the upcoming Hold Steady show with suggestions to my comrades in arms as to what songs to listen to in preparation. Feel free to toss your own thoughts my way. At the very least, it should provide for interesting discourse.

What RadioFreePennington is jamming today: the Class of '10-
Lustre by Ed Harcourt, HeadFirst by Goldfrapp, This is Happening by LCDSoundsystem, Heaven is Whenever by the Hold Steady, TransContinental Hustle by Gogol Bordello, Of the Blue Colour of the Sky by OkGo and Tonight by Franz Ferdinand (I know its 2009 but I just got it and far prefer it so far to You Could Have It So Much Better).

Put that in your pipe and playlist it.

No comments:

Post a Comment