Wednesday, January 18, 2012

BLACKOUT


Hi. I know today is a pretty contentious day for a lot of us that live here on the internet. So let's speak plainly for a moment.

I like stuff. A lot of stuff. A lot of weird stuff as some of you who have been reading here can probably attest to. And I pay for all of it. All of it.

Why? Glad you asked.

Because I like my weird stuff. Let me use a recent subject as an example: the Twilight Singers. Chances are, a good portion of you are here because you followed a link to my page from their Facebook feed (for which, I thank you Twilight Singers and thank you internet for all the love). I anxiously look forward to every release Greg Dulli and company put out- whether its the Twilights, the Gutter Twins, the Afghan Whigs or some other project. I know its going to be an enjoyable allocation of my resources. And because I made my contribution to the cause, its a little more likely that everyone doesn't have to go back to a shitty dayjob. They get to make music a little longer and I get to enjoy it and so on and so forth. Its like the opposite of a vicious cycle. Its like, let's say, an awesome cycle.

So. Do it. Buy the download, buy the album, buy the t-shirt. You're investing in something you love.

End of lecture.

As for the government: please, do not be so disingenuous as to think that any of us believe you're doing this for anybody other than big money interests. Nobody believes, for a moment, that this is going to be beneficial to the "artistic" class (or any other class for that matter) that has garnered so much attention with Occupy Wall Street, et al. You have stacked one more card in favor of those that already have unimaginable amounts of power. You have turned our country into a "battleground." You are legislating the populace to death. And you have been lucky that the populace has been patient.

But I have to ask, what have you done FOR us, lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment