Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Ten Quick Thoughts Leftover From Collapse Into Now


1. I am really enjoying this album. Even after Accelerate, which was a really nice showing for a bunch of old guys.

2. Speaking of which, I also tend to really enjoy the majority of their second career doldrums. See the following thoughts.

3. UP gets a bad rap. If that album had been a debut for a new band, it would have destroyed the marketplace. (See also Pop by U2)

4. Around the Sun was also quite enjoyable for me. "Ascent of Man," "Aftermath," "Boy in the Well" and "Leaving New York" all got a lot of play in my home.

5. Reveal was... okay. I wasn't so crazy about that one.

6. While we're at it, beyond "What's the Frequency, Kenneth?" there's nothing on Monster I'd kill for either.

7. I wasted about a thousand words trying to figure out that last review. Some of you probably feel I could have wasted more. You're probably right.

8. Automatic for the People and Document are still the best albums this band has ever made.

9. Reviewing Collapse Into Now, I compared it to Document. Interestingly, and I could be wrong (but I don't think so), these are both contract fulfilling albums. What's next for our indie stalwart heroes?

10. People forget that R.E.M. were the most important American band of the Eighties. These guys were real punk rock in the sense that they showed anyone could do it. And from the Eighties to the Nineties, they inspired a lot of people to try. God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment